Best Ice Cream Maker 2019 is here! Looking for the Best Ice Cream Making Machine? Read Our Reviews to Find out Which Ice Cream Maker is Best of 2019-2020!
Table of Contents
- 1 Introduction
- 2 What Is An Ice Cream Maker?
- 3 Top 5 Best Ice Cream Makers 2019-2020
- 4 Why Buy An Ice Cream Maker?
- 5 Types Of Ice Cream Makers
- 6 What To Look For When Buying An Ice Cream Machine
- 7 Conclusion
Are you like thousands of other people, in search of the best ice cream maker, but are not sure what exactly it is you need? You need not stress anymore! Read through this page for everything you need to know.
Ice cream has been my favorite treat since I was a little kid. Around 20 old years later and I still find myself having a few scoops once every few days. However, having noticed that nowadays the store-bought ice creams (even the premium brands) are filled with nothing more than artificial ingredients and sweeteners I went on a mission to find a better way of enjoying my beloved dessert.
Thankfully, one day a friend of mine said that she has bought a home ice cream maker. I was fascinated and over the next few days did a lot of research and came up with the following list of 5 best machines based on customer reviews, technical specifications, etc.
Ice Cream Maker Comparison Table
|Freezing Method||Churn Time |
|Cuisinart ICE-30BC||2||Freezer bowl||25 minutes|
|Cuisinart ICE-100||1.5||Self-refrigerating||34 minutes|
|Lello 4080 Musso Lussino||1||Self-refrigerating||40 minutes|
|Cuisinart ICE-21||1||Freezer bowl||20 minutes|
|Donvier Manual Ice Cream Maker||1||Freezer bowl||20 minutes|
|Cuisinart ICE-70||2||Freezer bowl||20 minutes|
|Hamilton Beach 68330N||4||Ice / Rock salt||40 minutes|
|Whynter ICM-200LS||2.1||Self-refrigerating||25 minutes|
|CHULUX Ice Cream Maker||1.5||Freezer bowl||30 minutes|
|Nostalgia ICMP400BLUE||4||Ice / Rock salt||30 minutes|
What Is An Ice Cream Maker?
The above description is a good answer to the question, but in today’s world, there is usually more to one of these machines than a container, a wooden bucket, and a hand crank. The purpose of the appliance is to make ice cream, but among the different types on the market, there are some which make other types of frozen desserts as well. You may choose an appliance that makes a soft frozen dessert, dispensing it in the same manner as a commercial appliance does. You can choose among large-capacity makers and smaller capacity makers, or you might want to invest in an attachment that can be used with a mix master. Such an attachment will usually feature double blades and a bowl that holds both containers to be filled with the mixture and the ice that is needed to surround the container.
You may choose to invest in an appliance that makes both ice cream and frozen yogurt. A multipurpose machine will not always produce the highest quality; it will make one of the two deserts better than it does the other, but that is not a law etched in stone. If you do a little comparison shopping, you might just find a multipurpose machine that makes a better product than anything else on the market can do.
There are also gelato-making machines for those who regard a serving of gelato as the ultimate eating experience.
While most of these machines you find on the market today are powered by electricity, you can still find hand-crank machines. Hand-crank machines are still the first choice of many, who swear they produce the best stuff. The challenge then is to find a machine that makes the best frozen dessert with the least amount of effort. Finding such a machine might be a possibility. On the other hand, there may not be a middle ground.
1. Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence Ice Cream Maker
The first machine on the list is the infamous Cuisinart ICE 30BC. There is a reason why this is the bestselling ice cream maker currently. Look at its features and reviews online and you will see that you cannot go wrong with purchasing one.
- Produces a great tasting ice cream that matches in quality the 200 dollar machines on the market.
- It is easy to assemble and use out of the box.
- There is a feature that will turn off the machine if it detects overheating (not something that happens anyway but you will also be glad to hear that it comes with a 3 year full warranty).
- Comes with a manual full of delicious recipes.
- Looks great and is more compact than the Cuisinart ICE-100.
- The only downside that I can think of is that you will need to pre-freeze the container unlike some of the more expensive options.
This will be my top pick if you are looking for an inexpensive machine that produces great ice cream comparable in mixture to the ones produced by the 200-300 dollar ice cream makers.
2. Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker
If you would like to be able to make real gelato at home – Look no further, this is the machine for you!
- Less noisy than the other Cuisinart machines on the list.
- The container is easy to empty from all the ice cream within it.
- It comes with a gelato paddle. You are basically buying two machines in one
- You can add toppings while the machine is working with the easily removable lid.
- The stainless finish looks great and upmarket. It does look like you have bought an expensive machine for your kitchen.
- You do not have to pre-freeze the bowl.
- There is a 10 minute Keep Cool feature that will keep the ice cream or gelato cool even after the machine stops.
- If you are after a basic ice cream maker that you will only use once or twice per year there are cheaper options out there.
- The machine is on the large side. So keep that in mind if you do not have much space in the kitchen.
If you are looking for a premium machine that comes with handy features such as inbuilt freezer and is able to produce gelato you cannot do much better than the Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker.
3. Lello 4080 Musso Lussino 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker
This is probably the best ice cream maker in terms of quality and features at the moment. The Lello 4080 will truly amaze you as it is not your average home ice cream machine but rather a professional unit that you can use to make everything from ice cream, gelato, frozen yogurt and frozen drinks.
- You do not need to pre-freeze a bowl and can make ice cream whenever you feel like it without preparation.
- The machine automatically stops if the content is ready by monitoring the hardness of the mixture.
- Everything is made of metal unlike the less expensive machines – the machines not looks really professional.
- The price.
- It weights 38 pounds – a problem if you do not have enough space in your kitchen and need to move it each time you use it.
If money was no object for me I will definitely go for this machine.
4. Cuisinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker
This is the older version of the Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence. It is a good choice if you are looking to spend as little money as possible. This machine will produce similar results to its newer version.
- Cheapest option out of the 5.
- Makes ice cream with a good mixture that is comparable to the one of the new version.
- Has a cheap plastic feel to it.
You may want to invest a bit more money and get the Cuisinart ICE-30BC which has a more premium feel to it and produces a slightly better ice cream based on the customer reviews. I would personally spend the extra few dollars and go for the Cuisinart ICE-30BC.
5. Donvier Manual Ice Cream Maker
This Donvier Manual Ice Cream Maker also gets a good amount of positive feedback in Amazon and the internet overall. Lets take a look the the pros and cos and see if it matches the quality of the other machines on the list:
- It is not expensive.
- Good customer reviews.
- It is really compact – 9-1/2 inches high and 8 inches in diameter
- Only produces one quart of ice cream per batch.
- There are some bad reviews online – for example, there is a mention that the machine actually takes up to an hour in some cases and not the 20 minutes listed on the packaging.
To be honest, I would not choose this ice cream maker over any of the other 4 on the list. If affordability is in your mind, go for the Cuisinart ICE30. It basically sells for the same price but has better overall performance, better customer reviews and produces twice the amount of ice cream in one serving. It is really a no-brainer.
Why Buy An Ice Cream Maker?
You are probably thinking – why go through all the trouble when the stores are full of dozens of different types of ice creams? Well, I can personally think of at least 3 reasons why you are better off buying an ice cream machine:
- Health – If you go to the store and look at the ingredients of any of the ice creams on display you will probably think twice before purchasing it. Nowadays companies mostly care about their profit margin and fill up ice creams with affiliate ingredients that are cheaper and preserve the product for longer. If you would like to have a healthy lifestyle you will definitely have to look at producing some of your favorite treats yourself.
- Cost – Not only can you enjoy a healthy treat but you can do it at the fraction of the cost as well. It is estimated that you can produce the same amount of ice cream for half the price if you purchase the ingredients yourself.
- Taste – Believe it or not you can actually make ice cream that is better tasting and has a superior texture by using one of the 5 machines listed above.
Types Of Ice Cream Makers
There are four types of ice cream makers – manual, pre-freeze bowl, inbuilt freezer and gelato makers. The decision on what type will be best suited for you and your family will entirely depend on your needs and preferences. I would personally leave the manual ice cream machines out of the running because they require a lot of effort and additional ingredients e.g. ice and rock salt.
Most of the ice cream makers available on the market come with a bowl that you will need to freeze in the fridge for 12-24 hours before you can use the machine. The pros of getting one of those are that they are cheaper than the machines with in-built freezer and are generally smaller in size.
Therefore this is probably the best option for you if you are looking for an inexpensive machine that will not take much real estate in your kitchen.
If you would like to be able to make ice cream without the need to plan and pre-freeze a bowl there are two options:
– you can keep the pre-freeze bowl in the fridge at all times (if you have space)
– or you can buy an ice cream machine with a built-in freezer.
The only problem with these machines is that they do tend to be bigger and are usually a few times more expensive than the ice cream makers that use a pre-freeze bowl.
Gelato is ice cream that originated from Italy. The main difference is that Gelato is made with less fat (usually less than 10%) while the typical ice cream has between 18 and 26% in general. In addition, Gelato has higher density, the reason for that is that it does not have air added to it like normal ice cream.
What To Look For When Buying An Ice Cream Machine
Everyone would have different needs and priorities. However, I believe the following 5 are the features that you need to most definitely consider when on the quest of purchasing an ice cream machine:
- Capacity – one of the main features that you will need to consider is how much ice cream would you need to produce in one sitting.
- Looks– It may be funny to some but the appearance of my kitchen appliances is serious business to me. I have spent thousands of dollars on my kitchen and don’t mind spending a few extra bucks if it will mean that I will have an elegant looking ice cream rather than some of the cheaper plastic versions that are not reliable anyway.
- Size– This may not be important to you based on your kitchen size. However, for some of us with smaller kitchens, it is indeed a big deal. When you have to find a place for blenders, juicers, etc you get to appreciate the compact size of some equipment.
- Reliability– Where is the point of investing in an ice cream maker if it will break down in a few months? The 5 ice cream machines that I listed as the top 5 currently available all come with a long warranty and based on the customers’ reviews on the internet have no known faults. When purchasing my own ice cream maker I spent hours researching and read each individual review in order to make sure that I do not get any surprises.
- Reviews– the best thing you can do before deciding on which machine to purchase is to look for reviews online. The main aim of this website, for example, is to be a complete guide for choosing, buying and using an ice cream machine. Reading people’s experience with a certain product will surely in most cases provide you with a good understanding of the above 4 points and point any flows a product may have. This is why I actually provided links in the table above that will take you to the Amazon page of each one of what I believe are the 5 products out there currently.
Enjoying ice cream can become a guilt-free habit if you buy a good ice cream maker and make sure that you use healthy ingredients. Any of the above 5 machines will do the job, choosing which one to get will depend on personal preference.
I would advise the following:
- If you are looking for the machine with best overall reviews that also comes at an affordable price – go for Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence.
- If you are looking for a machine that will allow you to also make gelato and comes with an inbuilt freezer – go for Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker.
- If money is no object and you are looking for the best machine based on technical specifications – go for Lello 4080 Musso Lussino 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker.
Whichever option you go for I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. It is that simple! The only thing left for you to do now is choosing which one, order it online for the best price and start enjoying the actual process of producing healthy ice cream.