Everybody loves ice cream. While going to the store and buying ice cream is delicious,…
Tips for Homemade Ice Cream Success
If you want to make ice cream in your home successfully then its time to take note of our best tips for homemade ice cream success. If you are using an ice cream maker for the first time or if you wish to refine some of your techniques, then these tips below will help you make delicious ice cream every time.
When I bought my first ice cream maker these are the tips I wish I knew first! There was a lot of trial and error when I first started churning! I want to save you the time and stress so you can have perfect home made ice cream every time!
Preparation is Key
- No matter what type of ice cream maker you have, preparation is important. Always remember – a pre-freeze bowl needs to be in the freezer overnight to ensure it is frozen solid. If you can, keep your bowl in the freezer permanently so it is always ready when you need it.
- If the bowl is not frozen enough there is a good chance your ice cream won’t freeze.
Quality Ingredients Produces Quality Ice Cream
- Buying fresh delicious ingredients will produce delicious ice cream. When buying your ingredients consider buying fresh fruits over frozen varieties
- Ensure your ingredients are chilled before adding to the ice cream maker. Adding warm ingredients will cause the ice cream maker to increase its core temperature which means it will take longer to churn.
- For best results – chill your creams, custards and fruits in the fridge – at lease for a few hours before adding to the ice cream maker.
- For the best results I use full fat milk and creams. I make ice cream to indulge and the best flavors really do come from these full fat ingredients!
- Just be mindful when adding alcohol to your ice cream. A bit too much rum to that raisin and the ice cream won’t churn. Too much sugar that is not dissolved can also have the same effect.
How to Use an Ice Cream Maker
- Remember that you can not overfill the ice cream maker – about three quarters full is plenty! It might not look like much but filling it to the top can affect the aeration of the ice cream.
- Ensure the motor of your ice cream machine is on before pouring your mixture into the freezer bowl. This will prevent your mixture from immediately freezing.
- Your ice cream isn’t a food processor so don’t expect it to chop and refine chunky ingredients. Add your mix ins such as chocolate chips or nuts towards the end. The last minute or two is plenty of time to distribute your mix ins evenly.
- Once you have produced some delicious ice cream, you must remember to look after your machine. Wash all your accessories, paddles and lids according to the manufacturers advice.
- Ensure your ice cream bowl is set aside to defrost thoroughly BEFORE plunging into hot water. This can damage your bowl beyond repair so please be careful!